Saturday, April 03, 2010

Warning: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE


My sister-in-law sent me this recipe this week, and let's just say I'm very, very glad she did. These are alot like those balls of sweetness you can get at vegan/vegetarian counters, or like Lara bars, if you've had those. She got this recipe from the Kind Diet, Alica Silverstone's vegan cookbook.

1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup carob powder
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 to 1 cup coconut

Blend walnuts until coarsely ground. Add dates and blend until well mixed. Add maple syrup, carob powder, almond butter, vanilla, salt and process until thick and smooth. Chop almonds and mix into it. Form into golf-ball sized balls and roll balls in coconut. Freeze in container.

I've always wanted to make these kinds of snacks at home with my food processor. Now that I've tried it, i can easily see how you can get really creative, trying different combination of nuts, butters, fruits, seeds, and so on, and pressing them into bars or squares.

5 comments:

anita said...

Love the picture!

I really feel like I should make these, but that they'd only last a few hours in my apartment (i.e. Lorne, ahem).

renamaphone said...

um, you're probably right. I eat at least 3 of these a day, and that's when I'm restraining myself. It's the dates, combined with the almond butter. So rich and flavourful...

renamaphone said...

and yeah, I've resolved to start adding pictures to any subsequent posts on this blog...food is so beautiful to look at!

anita said...

You're right, more pictures it is!

anita said...

So...a little late but..

I tried these the other day and they were soooo good! They're gone now, of course and life doesn't quite seem complete without them in my freezer.

I had to use natural peanut butter because I didn't have almond butter but they were still awesome. I'll definitely be experimenting with different combos of stuff in the future. Thanks!